Monday, March 23, 2009

To Day I Went to Find The Place

To day my sister Teddi and her husband Jim came over from the far side of the valley to take me looking for a Group Home for Paul. After my last visit with Paul on Saturday I was made very aware that he is really slipping away. After we had talk for quite a while He asked me if I was his mother. Once I caught my breath I explained that I was his wife Raenell. He didn't know who Raenell was. This was the first time for this experience and I knew I really needed to take action. So I planned to go looking for a good Group Home. Paul's Social Worker had given me the names of two possible places that would except ALTEC and Mercy Care that Paul is approved for. Mercy Care I find out does not have a good reputation for paying their bills on time, so not too many places will except patients with Mercy Care.



Looking for the right place is not the most fun. I found that out when my sisters and I were caring for our parents a few years back. So my sweet sister offered to come along. As I was getting ready this morning I was inspired to call some friends of ours that have been in the adult care services most of their lives together. They are great and loving and have known Paul since we moved out this side of town. When I called, Carl told me of a wonderful place that he goes as a Hospice Of the Valley Care Giver. He said it was the best he had ever seen in the valley. He goes three times a week to help another resident there.



I felt really good about it so I added it to the list. Yesterday at church several came up to ask what could they do to help out, hearing that Paul was not doing well. My response was "Please pray we will find a good Home for him" knowing it was going to be hard.



So off we went. The first was a Home ran by a young husband and wife with 3 or 4 small children. They were nice (she was tiny, about 80 lbs. Teddi guest). There was no way I would fill comfortable about that place. Next was a place up north next to the hills. We were coming from a different direction than from my own home. As we kept going we thought the area look familiar. When we arrived, we couldn't believe our eyes. It was the same home our mother had been in for a year or two. It was really a surprise, but not one we were really happy about.

It was under difference owners and looked fine, but they had filled the room they had over the week-end. We were kind of glad. Mother ended up not very happy after a while there and that didn't leave very good memories. So that one was off our list.



Next we went to the one Carl recommended. It is very near where my sister Christine lives. When we got to the door, even before it was opened we had a good feeling. And as we went through the lovely home and met the residents and those who worked there, we were so excited. The residents kept telling us that this was the best place to be. They have two rooms available and would love to have him there. We have to do some changing of health insurance from Mercy Care to one of the others that cover that home, but I was told by Hospice of the Valley this afternoon that could be done in 48 hours.



There is no question in my mind tonight, that those prayers were answered. I was not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment