I was working on down loading a new accounting program to up-date the program I have been using to do the bookkeeping for the little company I still help. While watching the tutorials for the different parts of the program I was really set back. I couldn't help remembering the first accounting program I used when I first got started. It was before "Windows" and there was no color. There were no windows of helpful tips. There was no tutorials, only notes from another friend that was helping me get started. I had to be very careful to be sure to know how to enter each entry correctly. It had to be entered as a debit or credit (a double entry) and it had to balance. By grandchildren will remember that it did "beep" when I made a mistake. But it didn't tell me what was wrong. I had to create my own forms. There wasn't any Excel either.
Today I looked at a program in great colors with helps on everything you could dream up and many more you couldn't dream of. With very little talent you can create every form, letter, receipt, report, checks, bank statements, lists, addresses and phone numbers, etc. Many of them by just clicking a picture with my "mouse". I couldn't help but think how fun it would have been to have all that 25 years ago. I really would have enjoyed it working on all the files for my clients.
I'm afraid it's a bit much for me now and I'm glad that I only have one company left and he has only one employee and he deals with mostly just cash. I guess I was just born to early or I am growing older too fast.
My visit today with Paul was pretty good. When he realized it was me he wanted to go home and have dinner with me and wanted to know where he was going to sleep tonight. He was a little down, but I found some fun things to talk to him about and he began to laugh. He thanked me for coming and seemed a little more comfortable about being there again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment